Ever start your truck on a cold morning and worry about driving in the fog? Fog is tough to see through. Often, a brighter headlight just makes it worse without helping you see any farther in front of your vehicle.
Did you know over 38,000 crashes occur in fog every year?
If you are regularly driving out in the fog, this post will help you understand a few things:
- What makes fog lights work
- The best fog light bulb to use
- Where to buy fog lights for your truck
Let's begin by telling you why fog lights work.
What Makes Fog Lights Work?
Fog lights are meant to do one thing:
Light up the road right in front of vehicles so they can safely navigate somewhere to wait for better weather.
That's right - you aren't really meant to drive in the fog very much. Over 38,000 crashes occur in fog every year. They cause more than 600 fatalities and over 16,000 injuries. When it's truly foggy outside, use your fog lights to get to a safe place and wait.
But if you've got to drive, do it with fog lights. How do fog lights work? There are really just three reasons why fog lights work:
- They are installed low on the vehicle. Most fog lights are installed on the lower bumper. Fog doesn't really reach all the way to the ground, so mounting the lights lower keeps their beams below the fog, where they can increase visibility without glare.
- Fog light beams are more tightly controlled and aimed at the ground. The light comes from the lower portion of the vehicle and stays close to the ground. Many manufacturers use blinds, filters, or special optics to focus the beams low.
- Fog lights are usually yellow or amber. LED fog lights are also yellow. This causes less glare from snow and rain reflection compared to bright white light.
That's why fog lights work - they keep a beam low to the ground and use less reflective colors.
What's the Best Fog Light Bulb?
For years, halogen bulbs were the only choice. Now, motorists can choose from a few technologies, but the LED light is the best choice. LED fog lights are better because they are smaller, use power more efficiently, are more durable, and have a longer service life.
An LED can be hid in the grill or lower bumper of your truck lighting system. That's why so many people choose one of Black Oak's LED pod lights. These light up the night while remaining tucked away in style.
The Best Truck Lighting Comes from Black Oak
What makes Black Oak the best? Here's why we stand behind our products and believe we are the best in the industry:
- Black Oak is a family-owned business operated by veterans. We care for our customers and offer top notch support by phone, email, and live chat.
- All our products come with a lifetime warranty against defects. We also offer a 30-day money back guarantee on all orders.
That's just the company, though. What about the lights? Here's what makes Black Oak shine brighter than everyone else in the market:
- Our lights are built with DynaMax housing for serious durability and ruggedness. Paired with our Hydrex 2 seal lock, we offer the highest ingress protection certification available, the IP69K rating.
- We've built our lights with upgraded Lexan lenses for superior brightness and beam distance. Compare them to older models or the competition and we will shine brighter and farther than anyone else.
- Our lights are designed to be easy to install. Our products come with the connectors and wiring you need to set up your rig. If you need extra cable, we sell it by the foot. Want a special connector or controller? Our team will help you make the right choice.
Black Oak offers the best lights on the market for trucks. We have special lighting packages for most makes and models, including America's best-selling models.
Ford fog lights
Ford owns the bestselling truck series for 48 consecutive years - the Ford F-series. The Ford F150, Ford Raptor, Ford Lightning, and the Ford F250 are all sales leaders across the country.
Want to buy lights for your Ford? Check out our options:
Chevy fog lights
The Chevy Silverado is the second most popular make of truck in America. Americans bought more than half a million Chevy Silverados last year, making it Chevy's bestselling truck of all time.
Want fog lights for your Silverado? Here are our options:
Dodge fog lights
The Dodge Ram is a truck that just sounds tough. It's been a hit with American truck buyers and many work trucks have the Ram logo on the front.
Looking for fog lights for your Dodge Ram? Here are our options:
Jeep fog lights
Offroad warriors know and love the Jeep Wrangler. This iconic American vehicle has been blazing trails for almost 100 years. Add some extra lights and it's even better!
Read to add lights to your Jeep? Here are our choices:
GMC fog lights
The GMC Sierra has done well over the years and is enjoying its strongest sales ever. GMC Sierra sales are almost triple what they were ten years ago.
If you bought a GMC Sierra and want to add lights, here's what we can do for you:
Toyota fog lights
Toyota has been selling trucks for a while, but the Tacoma and Tundra have really become much more popular in the past five years. New styling and powertrain options are boosting Toyota sales.
If you're the proud owner of a Toyota truck and want a light upgrade, check out these options: